Banana and wheat germ muffins are a great variation of the standard banana muffins. Adding wheat germ give these muffins a nicer taste, and although wheatgerm contains an appreciable amount of vitamin E, you will be reducing the amount of viable vitamin E through the baking process. The fibre content won’t be affected however, but do give this recipe a try and I’m sure that you will like these muffins. Use an unbleached white flour and very ripe bananas. Enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to about 190 C (400F).
- Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Mix in wheat germ.
- Combine bananas, milk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract in large bowl and whisk to blend.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into prepared, greased muffin tins, dividing equally.
- Bake muffins until tops are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.