Are you a committed vegan or vegetarian? We congratulate on taking this step towards good health. Many of our patients are vegetarian, but many are meat eaters as well. I’m not prejudiced towards one or the other, but do believe in the importance of eating a balanced and healthy diet. This recipe is sure to please those who are interested in eating meat-free.
- 3 cups cooked chick peas
- 2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
- ½ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, ground
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 cup soft tofu, mashed
- To cook chick peas, rinse, cover well with fresh water, bring to boil, and simmer until soft for approximately 35 minutes.
- Drain. Put into a bowl and mash.
- Cook pumpkin with skin removed, then mash.
- To toast sesame seeds, place them in a saucepan over a medium heat, stir frequently until browned. Add NO oil or fat. They brown very quickly, watch carefully
- Combine all ingredients in recipe in a bowl and mix well. Shape into burgers.
- Place on a greased oven tray. Bake at 200 C for about 20-30 minutes or shape into patties, dip in breadcrumbs and fry gently in heated oil.
- Use in a hamburger, add your choice of toppings, salad veges, etc.