Are you looking for a high protein meatless snack? Look no further, these lentil rissoles will do the trick, they taste great and are very filling. Our boys love these lentil rissoles, they are a fantastic quick meal and great as an after-school snack. But what is a risssole? A rissole is a small patty enclosed in pastry, or rolled in breadcrumbs, usually baked or shallow fried. The filling has savoury ingredients, most often minced meat, fish or cheese, and is served as an entrée, main course, or side dish.
You may need to double the recipe if you have a number of kids like we have though!
Lentils are not only high in protein, they are full of fibre as well and suit both vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Meat eaters will find them meaty, and vegetarians find snacks like this quite satisfying indeed. Why not try them?
- 1 cup (250 grams) red lentils
- 2/3 cup (65 grams ) finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (65 grams) frozen peas
- 1 small carrot – finely diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups (120 grams) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Oil, for shallow frying
- Dry breadcrumbs for coating
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a lid.
- Cook the garlic, onion, cumin, and ground coriander over a medium heat for 2 mins, or until onion has softened.
- Stir in the carrot, lentils and 2 cups (500 ml) of water.
- Slowly bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked and pulpy, stirring often to stop the lentils sticking and burning on the base.
- Remove the lid during the last 10 minutes of cooking to evaporate any remaining liquid.
- Transfer the mix to a large bowl, cover with wrap and cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, walnuts, peas and parsley.
- Form into eight 7 cm round rissoles. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until they are firm.
- Evenly coat the rissoles in dry breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 1 cm oil in a deep frying pan, add the rissoles and cook for 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
- Drain on crumpled paper towels, season with salt, pepper and serve with salad.