Chickpea vegetable pate is a very healthy as well as versatile recipe. I never used to enjoy pate because I always associated pate with liver or animal organ meats, but you can have a high protein pate snack without eating duck’s liver, for example. This recipe is easy to make and requires no baking.
- 3 cups of undrained plum tomatoes (canned)
- 1 green capsicum cut into eighth strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 Tblsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Tblsp. Tomato Paste
- 3 Tblsp. red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 2 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 Tsp. celery seeds
- 1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 Tblsp. Agar Agar (try Asian shop)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 green pepper, chopped finely
- Watercress for garnish
- Put the tomatoes, green capsicum, cucumber, onion, olive oil, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, cumin, celery seed, and cayenne pepper into a food processor and blend well.
- Dissolve agar agar in a little hot water.
- Combine with vegetable mix, then fold in cube avocado and finely chopped green capsicum.
- Pour into an oiled dish and chill.
- Dip the bowl into hot water and invert onto a platter.
- Serve surrounded by vegetable sticks, watercress, crackers, brad and parsley.
- Or slice onto individual plates, and serve as an entree, garnished with fresh vegetables.