Now here’s something completely different and I know what you are thinking – how on earth can this combination taste any good? Well, it does. I love the orange and coriander combination in particular. Try this salad with a spicy warm dish, they make a great combo.
This salad is particularly refreshing in the summertime. The flavours and colours are great and is one of the small side salads you have alongside a few others. Your guests will be amazed and want to know how you came up with this unusual combination of ingredients.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinse
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 small or 1 medium orange peeled and segment.
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 1 small red or green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill, covered, for 1 hour
- Tastes best when consumed on the same day it is made, does not keep particularly well.
You can substitute black beans and coriander with butter beans and parsley if preferred.
You can also use a cup of black beans (Asian shop) which you boil for 20 – 30 minutes, strain and cool. This tastes even better, and the beans will have a better texture than the canned variety.