Rolled oat-coconut squares are a much better alternative to the commercial muesli bars which contain all manner of ingredients you would rather not have in there, such as sugar, cheap fats such as margarines and white flour. Many also contain peanuts and too much salt.
The variations are enormous, you can add chopped sun dried apricots, brazil nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, linseeds, wheat germ and many other similar healthy ingredients. The possibilities are as endless as is your imagination.
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup dried coconut shreds, unsweetened
- 1 cup unprocessed safflower oil
- 1 tspn almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- Blend honey, oil, eggs and almond extract together thoroughly.
- Add the rolled oats, coconut and only enough rye flour to make the dough a good consistency to turn into 2 greased 8″ x 8″x2″ cooking pans.
- Bake at (180C) 350F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in the pan, then cut into squares.