A Healthy And Tasty Recipe
Now here is an economical, unusual and very tasty dish. Tracee and I first started to make this dish about thirty years ago now. It is a recipe from one of those women’s magazines which I tore out and took interest in due to the large and varied selection of vegetables. This dish is very comprehensive and quite filling and is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day. If you have kids you will find that they will simply love the delicious sauce topping. You make this dish in two parts, first the base and then the topping. Meat and Vegetable Pie is very versatile as it may be made with any vegetables. You can even make smaller versions in small pie dishes, or just make the large dish like I make up. I love the combination of the raisins and baked beans, along with the vegetables. Try it, you will like this recipe for sure. There is no reason you couldn’t make a vegetarian version, just leave out the mince. Thanks Rosie for reminding us about this one! and for your useful editing 😉
This recipe is sufficient for 6 people.
- 9 teaspoons of a good vegetable oil
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 kg lean minced steak
- 375 grams carrots, washed and thinly sliced
- 500 grams zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large green capsicum, membrane and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 60 grams (1/3 cup) raisins
- 2 pinches of Celtic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 475 grams can baked beans
- 375 grams canned sweetcorn, drained
- 90 grams (1/3 cup) butter
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) plain white flour
- 900 ml (3 3/4 cup) milk
- 125 gm (1 cup) grated cheese
- 4 egg yolks. Separate the whites and keep for another dish – high in protein.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry, stirring occasionally, for 8 – 10 minutes or until a light brown.
- Add the meat and fry, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until well browned.
- Add the carrots, capsicum, zucchini, raisins, salt and the pepper. Stiry gently.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the baked beans and corn and simmer, uncovered for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the mixture into a deep pie dish. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 180 to 200 degree celsius. (350 deg. F)
Making The Sauce
- In a medium sized saucepan heat the butter over a moderate heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the flour, stir constantly.
- Add milk slowly and stirring constantly , place back onto heat.
- Cook the sauce for 3 – 4 minutes stirring constantly, until it comes to the boil and is thick and smooth.
- Stir in the cheese and the remaining salt. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the 4 egg yolks, stir well.
- Add 4 – 5 tbls of the hot sauce. Then fold the yolk mixture back into the hot sauce mixture.
- Pour sauce mixture over the meat mixture and place on top shelf of the oven and bake for 25 minutes , or until top has browned.