Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) is a co-enzyme for several enzyme systems involved in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Long-term use of large doses of vitamin B6 can, however, cause complications in the peripheral nervous system.
The standard B6 supplement is pyridoxine hydrochloride (HCL). Pyridoxine requires conversion in the liver to its active co-enzyme form called pyridoxine-5-phosphate (P5P) in order to become involved in processes. Is important for the utilisation of key nutrients such as B Vitamins and assimilation of dietary protein, metabolism of proteins, lipids, and glucose. P5P is now know to be the main circulating form of B6 exported from the liver and is considered the most relevant direct measure of vitamin B6 status.
Clinical Applications For Vitamin B6
- Cardiovascular: B6 helps prevent many CV diseases such as stroke, abnormal blood-clotting, ischemic heart disease, high blood pressure, intermittent claudication. B6 lowers LDL levels and prevents high homocysteine.
- Children: ADHD, Autism
- Diabetes: prevents diabetic complications, diabetic neuropathy, and gestational diabetes.
- Digestive system: alleviates hypochlorhydria.
- Female: Pre-menstrual syndrome, dysmenorrhoea, toxemia of pregnancy, morning sickness: 25mg eight hourly for 3 days, treatment and prevention of pre-eclampsia. Alleviates many cases of post-partum depression. Gestational diabetes. Female infertility. OCP side -effects.
- Immune system: helps prevent several forms of cancer, essential for B and T lymphocyte and antibody production, alleviates allergies.
- Metabolic: B6 functions as an antioxidant, important cofactor in energy production, increases glucose utilisation, chronic fatigue patients are often found to be deficient in B6.
- Musculoskeletal system: Carpal tunnel syndrome (100-200mg/day, decreases size & inflammation of Hebderden’s nodes, significantly alleviates tardive dyskinesia. Alleviates pain in joints and restores mobility in osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Reduces muscle pain generally. Prevention of osteoporosis. “Menopausal “arthritis.
- Nervous system: alleviates nervousness, anxiety and some form of depression, useful supplement in epilepsy. Improves memory, facilitates health and integrity of myelin sheaths, important for correct electrical conductivity of the nervous system. Improves sleep and dream recall, useful in Parkinson’s, MS, schizophrenia and travel sickness/nausea in general.
- Oral health: angular stomatitis, mouth ulcers, helps prevent tooth-decay.
- Respiratory: asthma (doses of 50-200mg/day in adults, smaller doses in children may help prevent asthma attacks.
- Skin: deficiency can lead to eczema and dermatitis. Alleviates acne vulgaris and acne rosacea.