This is a great recipe for lasagne with cottage cheese. Why not share this recipe with your friends. I have found it to be a popular dish at high school functions – vegetarians love a hearty meal and it tastes fabulous too. If you are looking for a meal that is hearty and filling and is a perfect companion to a salad or two, then this is it.
- 2 Large Red Capsicums
- 2 eggs
- 1 eggplant (aubergine)
- 500g Cottage Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 Large Zucchini
- 850g Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 6 – 8 Sheets of Lasagne Pasta
- 1/4 cup of Basil Leaves
- 150g of Rocket, trimmed
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- Quarter Capsicum and remove seeds and membrane.
- Slice eggplant lengthways into thin slices
- Roast eggplant and capsicum under grill until soft.
- Preheat oven to moderate.
- Combine egg and cottage cheese in medium bowl
- Heat half of the oil in large frying pan; cook mushrooms, stirring, until soft.
- Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook zucchini, stirring until browned all over.
- Remove from pan
- Spread a third of the pasta sauce into shallow rectangular baking dish; top with a lasagne sheet.
- Top with a third of each of the capsicum, eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, rocket and basil, then add another lasagne sheet.
- Repeat layering, starting with pasta sauce and ending with lasagne sheet. Spread cottage cheese mixture evenly over pasta, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in moderate oven about 35 minutes or until heated through. Stand 15 minutes before serving.
Our whole family enjoyed this lasagne and even though it was filling there was plenty left to reheat the following day. It wasn’t as heavy on the stomach as the meat lasagnes can be.