Looking For A Delicious Soup Recipe?
The great thing about Soba Noodle Soup is that you can keep all the necessary ingredients on hand at all times (garlic, ginger, mushrooms, soba noodles, etc) then add whatever vegetables you have, if you have any. This recipe is also endlessly flexible. Try some tofu or chicken if you have it, mung bean sprouts would be lovely and so would be a sprinkling of fresh coriander leaves, and sesame oil will impart a heavenly flavor as well. Try in addition to stir in some lightly beaten egg. What a meal!
- 250 g packet soba noodles
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 120 g snow peas, cut into thin strips
- 2 small carrots, cut into thin 5cm strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions cut into 5cm lengths and thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 cm piece of ginger, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup (80 ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (60ml) mirin or sake
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Cook the noodles acording to the packet instructions. Drain.
- Soak the mushrooms in 1/2 cup boiling water until soft. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Remove the stalk and slice the mushrooms.
- Combine the vegetable stock, mushrooms, reserved liquid, snow peas, carrot, garlic, spring onion and ginger in a large saucepan.
- Bring slowly to the boil, then redue teh heat to low and simme for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin and bean sprouts. Cook for a further 3 minutes
- Divide the noodles among four large serving bowls.
- Ladle the hot liquid and vegetables over the top and garnish with coriander.