Colorful Warm and Sweet Salad
Do you eat pumpkin and sweet potato (kumara)? You will love the taste and beautiful colours of this special salad. What another tasty dish – this is a perfect salad to accompany my Roasted Beetroot Salad, why not make them at the same time? I know what you are thinking, a cold glass of white wine and some barbequed chicken kebabs, what a feast. But, hold the alcohol and have a diluted fruit juice or herbal tea instead instead- why add more love handles? Roasted salads such as this are made by our family all throughout spring and summer and served cool, and are even nicer the next day. This is a nice addition to the summer table, and the yellow and orange colors are nice when placed next to the Roasted Beetroot Salad and a fresh Basic Green Salad.
- 1/2 – 1kg butternut pumpkin. Peel & cut in 1 inch cubes.
- 1 large orange sweet potato (called kumara in New Zealand) Peel & cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, peel and slice thinly.
- 6 – 8 large cloves of fresh garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts, lightly dry roasted.
- 1 level teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to suit
- Shredded mint leaves for decoration and flavour
- Rub the pumpkin & kumara chunks in olive oil and cinnamon powder, add garlic and roast at 180C for about 20 minutes until they are sweet and tender, toss carefully once or twice during the roast.
- Let the mixture cool, place in the fridge for 15 minutes. You can do this ahead of time, but preferably not the day before.
- 3 Place the roasted pumpkin, kumara and garlic mixture, red onion in a bowl and mix carefully.
- Sprinkle with the roasted pine nuts and finely sliced mint leaves.
- Add the salad dressing, chill and enjoy.
Pumpkin Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup of a good quality liquid honey (you may need to warm it to get it liquid)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- A large pinch of salt & pepper
In a small jar add the ingredients and shake well. All ingredients should combine beautifully!
Add just before serving