Delicious Gluten-Free Rice Custard
My kids just love this recipe, we have made it many times at home on a Sunday evening, and it always goes down a treat. There is something really satisfying bout a small bowl of custard after a main meal, have you noticed? There are many variations possible with this recipe, for example you can change the raisins to sun dried apricots for a nice change.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice, uncooked
- zest from one lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins
- cinnamon, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, rice, lemon peel and salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour into a well buttered 2-quart casserole dish. Set the casserole in a shallow baking pan filled with 1 inch hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and stir well. Continue baking 45 minutes longer. Remove from oven.
- Gradually stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs; stir back into remaining milk mixture in the casserole, blending well. Stir in raisins.
- Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until the custard is set and the rice is cooked. Remove from water bath.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve warm, it won’t last long! Before you know it they will all want second helpings.