Healthy Natural Foods
High value health foods should be high on your list if you are interested in optimal health. On this page you will find some of the healthiest food choices you can make. Even though this page reflects predominantly New Zealand contacts when it comes to obtaining these foods, I’ll be sure to add American, Canadian, Australian and other contacts over time. If you have any good contacts for the supply of these foods, please contact me.
Here are some quick links that will take you to different pages of interest:
- Health On A Budget
- Healthy Food Choices
- High Value Foods
- What Is An Antioxidant?
- Dietary Supplements
- Lifestyle Changes
1 – Unpasteurized (Raw Milk) From Grass Fed Cows
- Thank goodness we have plenty of this in New Zealand! Raw organic milk from grass-fed cows contains both beneficial fats, bacteria that boost your immune system, and a number of vitamins, minerals and enzymes. Although raw milk availability is limited in the NZ, depending on where you live, you can locate the source closest to you by going to Google.
2 – Yellow Pea Protein
- Even if you don’t have access to raw milk, you can use a high-quality vegetable protein derived from organically grown yellow peas to receive much of the same health benefits. Whey protein contains beta-glucans and immunoglobulins, which protect your immune system and support your body’s natural detoxification processes.Yellow pea protein powder provides you 100% pure protein from a natural source and delivers you an allergen-free and non-GM source of protein. Leaves you no excuses to skip breakfast again, thi is an easy to mix into a quick meal when you’re pressed for time. This powder delivers you a pleasing, neutral taste — without artificial flavors and provides you an easily absorbable protein that’s gentle on your stomach. Potentially aids you in feeling full after eating which could help your weight management together with eating healthy and exercising.
3 – Fermented Foods
- One of the most healthful fermented foods is kefir — an ancient cultured, enzyme-rich food full of friendly microorganisms that balance your “inner ecosystem” and strengthen immunity. Besides kefir, other good fermented foods include natto, kimchee, miso, tempeh, pickles, sauerkraut, and olives.
4 – Free-Range Eggs
- Raw, free-range eggs are an inexpensive and amazing source of high-quality nutrients that many people are deficient in, especially high-quality protein and fat. To find free-range pasture farms, try your local health food store, or check out Google.
5 – Organic Beef & Organ Meats
- In New Zealand, all of our beef produced to my knowledge is grass-fed, and our beef is very high in vitamins A, B12 and E, omega-3 fats, beta carotene, zinc and the potent immune system enhancer CLA (conjugated linoleic acid, a fatty acid). But don’t confuse “organic” with grass-fed, since many organically raised cows are still fed organic corn or other suspect feeds which you don’t want.
6 – Coconut oil
- Besides being excellent for your thyroid and your metabolism, coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which converts in your body to monolaurin – a compound also found in breast milk that strengthens a baby’s immunity. Coconut contains medium chain fatty acids, or triglycerides (MCT’s) also impart a number of health benefits, including raising your body’s metabolism and fighting off pathogens such as viruses, bacteria and fungi. Make sure you choose an organic coconut oil that is unrefined, unbleached, made without heat processing or chemicals, and does not contain GM ingredients.
7 – Berries
- Blueberries and raspberries rate very high in antioxidant capacity compared to other fruits and vegetables. They are also lower in fructose than many other fruits.
8 – Broccoli
- Broccoli contains the highest amount of isothiocyanates, a cancer-fighting compound, of all the crunchy vegetables. Studies have shown that just 10 spears a week (5 servings) can make a difference in your health. Check out: Growing Broccoli in New Zealand
9 – Avocado
- the Avocado is one of my favourite foods. Avocados contain vitamins and Minerals in absolute abundance, the avocado contains ALL nine essential amino acids required by your body for the manufacture of new tissue. Therefore, it is considered a complete protein which is very unique for a non-animal food. Avocado is therefore perfect for vegetarians or those who want to cut back on animal meats, but want adequate protein. Check out: http://www.nzavocado.co.nz or Avocado production
10 – Green Tea
- As for beverages, clean pure water is a must for optimal health, but if you want another beverage, a good choice with added health benefits is high quality green teas. Matcha tea is the most nutrient-rich green tea and comes in the form of a stone-ground powder, completely unfermented. The best Matcha comes from Japan and has up to 17 times the antioxidants of wild blueberries, and seven times more than dark chocolate. Tulsi is another tea loaded with antioxidants and other micro-nutrients that support immune function and heart health.
11 – Omega 3
- Omega 3 is is the only dietary supplement that makes it to this list, and that’s only because the ideal food source for these essential omega-3 fats has been destroyed by widespread pollution. The dangers of eating many different fish species simply outweigh the benefits due to the toxic mercury levels they now contain, with very few exceptions. Hoki fish is caught at considerable depths in the Southern ocean, the cleanest ocean left remaining on Earth.
I hope you’ll find these suggestions helpful in making the most of your food budget in these economically challenging times.
Below are links to some particularly relevant sites on organics, sustainability, green issues, and more.
- Biodynamic Farming Association. (Demeter)
- Sustainability Council of New Zealand.
- Organic Pathways online guide to organics in New Zealand.
- GE Free New Zealand, including a huge list of links to GE-related topics.
- Green Party of New Zealand.
- Genetic Engineering and its dangers, articles from 1996 to present.
- Organic Consumers Association, USA.