Who said that gluten free bread had to taste awful and have the texture of a brick? This bread recipe was given to me by a strictly gluten-free patient who wishes to remain anonymous. This recipe is excellent and the taste and texture of this bread will almost certainly surprise you. It tastes rather nice and is easy to make as well. You will get the guar gum at a good organic health foods store or sometimes even your local supermarket.
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon or more guar gum/arrowroot starch – (I believe potato starch would work too but I haven’t tried it yet)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 eggs (depending on the size, 3 medium or 2 large)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Optional: I add some caraway seeds, 1/2 tsp of cumin powder, 1/2 tsp of paprika and 1/2 tsp ginger for a rich flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside
- Sift together all dry ingredients
- Mix together the egg, yogurt, oil and lemon juice
- Combine and stir
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan, bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing.