Detox is a Powerful Blitz to your Health if Done Well.
I highly recommend a detox once per year for best effect. During this period, you can eat all you want but the selection of food is quite important It is strongly recommended that no alcohol and minimal caffeine be consumed during this cleanse. It is best to reduce coffee or tea consumption a week or two before attempting any detox program, and start making some changes for the better – like drinking more water and less caffeinated beverages. Detoxification is something our practice has been involved with for twenty years, and I find that the “simple” programs are the best. A detox is very beneficial, since harmful chemical substances, that cause headache, fatigue and nausea, are eliminated out of your body. There are myriads of detox programs available in the market. Here, the main idea is to relinquish diets that contain toxins such as sugar, meat, white flour, dairy food and caffeine. You will need to refrain from taking (non-prescribed) pharmaceutical drugs and alcohol.
We Have 3 Detoxification Programs for You:
1 – The Ten-Day Detox This is recommended as a starting point and if you have not detoxed before I can recommend this as a beginning detox.
2 – The Three-Week Detox is a simple plan and is recommended for those with a little more experience in terms of diet and detox. It involves downloading our 21-Day Express Detox handout (100 KB PDF). There are food suggestions and a page on detox hints and tips. The third page gives you correct supplement options for you to use over the three individual stages of the detox, there are 5 products involved, but you will need to be a Member of our Doctor Supplement Store in order to access these products.
- Week 1 is the intestinal cleansing week.
- Week 2 is liver cleansing week.
- Week 3 is continued cleansing and re-population week.
This detox works really well and is very popular with many patients who complete it every year in either spring or autumn, but you can detox any time of the year.
3 – Our Customised Detox is our most involved detoxification program, is comprehensive and suits those who want to work more one-to-one with our naturopath. You will receive comprehensive and completely tailored program with plenty of information including our detailed shopping guide, several handouts on diet and nutrition as well as pre and post detox testing. You will get support and guidance throughout this program, just contact us for more information. You pay for any products and freight charges in addition to the consultation charges. I recommend that you start with the simple option and as you become more experienced in this area to learn more and extend your cleanse into the six-week program.
Detox is one way to cleanse your body in a short time frame and to increase your sense of health and well being. We have many clients who detox once per year and keep coming back each year. We have a few different programs for you, a simple
This is quite a useful page, it contains a lot of useful information on how to get the most out of your detox program.
Conventional medicine does not recognize detox as valid treatment
Don’t expect much support from you medical doctor when you mention the word “detox”, unless your GP has been trained in detoxification and/or nutritional medicine such as the AIMA course (Australasian Integrated Medical Association). Most medically trained physicians view detoxification as “not scientifically proven”. According to the Mayo Clinic (USA), the typical medical response to the notion of detoxification with patients is “Detox diets are touted as a way to remove toxins from the body, some people actually report feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, this may be due to a belief that they’re doing something good for their bodies”, and further “There’s little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body, most ingested toxins are efficiently and effectively removed by the kidneys and liver and excreted in urine and stool. If you’re considering a detox diet, get the OK from your doctor first”.
It is interesting how the Mayo clinic website states that most toxins are efficiently removed. What about the rest? And – where is the proof that all toxic residues we take in (diet, air, water, personal care products, pharmacy drugs, etc) are all efficiently removed? Furthermore, the problem arises that if you do consult your doctor untrained in detoxification you will be greeted with much skepticism and disapproval. My first experience with the medical model was when I was newly qualified as a naturopath and started to work in conjunction with a young doctor. Dr. X was trained to the highest caliber as a Western medical doctor. But when I first spoke with him about the importance of nutrition in medicine, his reply was “Well Eric, I didn’t think that nutrition had much bearing on health, apart from constipation perhaps”.
What is Detox?
There are many sources of toxins. Some of these toxins include those produced in the body during normal functions, such as the ammonia produced during the breakdown of protein, and chemicals you use around your home or work environment such as pesticides, household cleaners, food additives, pharmaceutical drugs, industrial pollution, cigarette smoke, and heavy metals like lead that enter the body when we ingest or inhale them through for example hobbies or your occupation.
It is quite naive to think that the body has developed mechanisms sophisticated enough to completely remove all the thousands of toxins we come into contact with during our lifetime. With over 70,000+ chemicals now in existence, and most developed in the past 100 years, the human body simply has not evolved quick enough to detoxify all these chemicals! Apparently, there are only about 200 of these chemicals which we can adequately test for in the human body. Many thousands of chemicals now in existence have NOT been thoroughly tested on humans, particularly pregnant women and children.
What is a Detox Program?
- Minimizes the amount of chemicals ingested by way of understanding where toxins come from in the diet, for example focusing on organic sources of foods.
- An emphasis on the right foods that provide the vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants that the body needs for detoxification. A focus on the right proteins
- An emphasis on special foods which aid the liver’s detoxification pathways.
- An emphasis on foods which aid in the movement of bowel motions, such as high fibre foods and water, that draw out and eliminate toxins by increasing the frequency of bowel movements and urination.
Why go on a Detox Diet?
Weight loss programs require a good detoxification program
Ample research exists today which suggests that many of the chemicals we ingest daily through food, water, and air can become deposited in the adipose tissue (fat cells) in our bodies. A concern therefore arises that when a person loses weight that increasing toxic residues will flood the bloodstream and cause havoc unless the body has very functional detoxification mechanisms operating. This is highly unlikely with those who are significantly overweight or obese. And it is common knowledge that a large percentage of the population is overweight or obese.
A diet that lacks certain nutrients may also impair our natural ability to detoxify chemicals, which further leads to their build-up in the body.
The cumulative load, called the “body burden”, is thought to lead to illness and has been linked to hormonal imbalance, impaired immune function, nutritional deficiency, and an inefficient metabolism. Signs are thought to include indigestion, bad breath, fatigue, poor skin, and muscle pain.
- To become more familiar with symptoms alternative practitioners consider to be linked with toxicity, take the Environmental Detox Screening Quiz (PDF 100kb) How high do you score? Perhaps it is time you decided to detox. You may want to download this form, answer it, then wait twelve weeks and do it again. Surprise, surprise!
Benefits of a Detox Diet
People often report improved energy, clearer skin, regular bowel movements, improved digestion, and increased concentration and clarity after a detox diet. The benefits are numerous and include reducing the chances of prematurely developing chronic illness.
Who Shouldn’t Try a Detox Diet?
Anyone considering a detox diet should consult a qualified health professional and/or their medical doctor first.
Pregnant or nursing women or children shouldn’t go on a detox diet. People with anemia, eating disorder, diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease, autoimmune disease, cancer, terminal illness, certain genetic diseases, and other chronic conditions shouldn’t try this diet or should do so only under the supervision of their primary care provider. It is not intended for alcohol or drug detoxification.
One of the most common side effects of a detox is a mild dull headache within the first few days of starting the detox diet, often due to caffeine withdrawal. For this reason, practitioners often suggest gradually decreasing the amount of caffeine prior to starting a detox diet. In addition, some people opt to take time off work to begin a detox diet or start the diet on the weekend. Do you drink more than three cups of coffee a day? You may want to gradually reduce by a cup every two days for a week before you start.
Other small initial aggravations can include bloating or flatus. Constipation may occur if people consume excess fiber without also increasing their fluid intake. Other issues which may arise can include tiredness, irritability, acne, weight loss, and hunger. Any worsening of symptoms or new symptoms that occur during a detox diet should prompt a visit to a qualified health professional.
If a detox diet is continued for a long time (more than 6 weeks), it may result in nutrient deficiencies, particularly protein (some detox diets omit all animal products) iron and calcium.
First, it pays to reduce your toxin accumulation and then eliminate coffee, alcohol, cigarettes and saturated fats. This is because these substances act as toxins and are barriers in the process of healing. In addition, you have to minimize using chemical-based homemade cleaners or personal health-care products and use natural shampoos, cleansers, toothpastes and deodorants, washing powders and other natural alternatives.
Another obstacle to a sound health is stress and adrenal fatigue, which causes the body to emit stress hormones into our system. As these hormones may provide adrenaline, they produce a large amount of toxins and slowdown the natural detoxification of your body. Hence, it is a wise idea to tackle traumatic life situations by detoxifying your body. The effective means to relive stress are meditation and yoga by resetting the physical as well as mental reactions.
As I mentioned, you may develop fatigue, indigestion, cough, muscle pain, and/or experience insomnia, particularly if you have never undergone a detox or it has been some time since you last completed one. If your trivial complaints have not improved in a few days after you begin the detox, you may want to consult with us or your health care professional to make sure that there are no underlying signs of a serious illness.
Your diet for the week does not have to be boring. We have found that certain foods are the best to have during your detox period. You will feel better (especially if you keep this dietary regime going for a further two to three weeks) as your body releases more & more accumulated matter, clearing digestion and restoring vigour & energy. For many, a well performed detox is a completely invigorating and rejuvenating process for the whole body & mind, particularly when combine with two or three saunas during this period, some dry skin brushing, take it easy on yourself and particularly when you drink plenty of fresh clean water. Keep your cooking fresh & simple, there are plenty or recipes for you to be found on-line or at your local library.
12 Good Detox tips
1. Have ample amount of fibre foods along with brown rice, fresh fruits and vegetables which have been lightly steamed, stir fried or raw. Some of the best detox foods include beetroot (not from tin cans – fresh please), cabbage, radishes, artichokes, broccoli, chlorella, spirulina and seaweed serve as best detoxifying foods. See further on our handout – the 21-Day Detox. — and remember, the best diet is a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein.
2. Practice hydrotherapy regularly by having a hot shower followed by tepid and cool. While having a shower, allow the water to flow across your head, neck and back for about 4-5 minutes. Follow the same with cooler water for fifteen to twenty minutes, if you can gradually reduce the water until it is cold. Do this two to three times a week and then rest on a bed for half-an-hour.
3. You can also protect your liver by having herbs such as burdock, dandelion root and milk thistle and by drinking green tea. Try a good quality Liver Support product.
4. Keep that bowel working. Is it sluggish? Then you may want to take some good quality Constipation Relief product.
5. Alkalise your body with Green Barley Powder. This is particularly good if you were consuming lots of meat, or coffee, tea, flour products, sweets and alcohol. Green Barley Powder is an excellent alkalising drink and can assist with detox. Take one drink daily.
6. Take more Vitamin C, as it is a premium antioxidant and helps your body produce glutathione, which drives toxins away from your body.
7. Breathe deeply, so that oxygen flows all through your body.
8. Drink at least two to six glasses of water every day.
9. Reduce stress by emphasizing more on positive emotions.
10. Take a steam bath in a sauna to eliminate toxins and waste materials through perspiration.
11. Dry-brush your skin or buy a detox foot spa. You can also buy special brushes (loofah or a natural sea sponge) available at all natural product stores to eliminate toxins from your body.
12. One of the most effective ways to detoxify your body is to exercise. Skipping rope and yoga are two of the best ways to get rid of wastes from your body. You just have to spend a half an hour daily to do these exercises and witness remarkable outcomes within a month’s period. In addition, these workouts give many health benefits such as delayed ageing, energy and remarkable zest.